Dreading Monday (or Tuesday or Wednesday) morning? Or waking up to a pile of work, a deadline, or just a good dose of self-doubt?
As a freelancer crafting my own creative career, I teeter between being extremely excited for my next batch of work and wondering why I thought it was a good idea to start my own company. It’s a fine line and I’m often looking for security, inspiration and a kick in the butt. The first two are kind of illusions based on feelings, but the latter can come in many forms, from a check-in call with my accountability buddy, to a list like this one- a series of quotes on success and motivation, curated just for you on those mornings of dread (or the night before).
1) A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
2) A diamond is merely a lump of coal that did well under pressure.
3) The best revenge is massive success.
4) If you’re going through hell, keep going.
5) Only put off until tomorrow what you are willing to die having left undone.
6) The successful warrior is the average man, with laser-like focus.
7) Nobody ever wrote down a plan to be broke, fat, lazy, or stupid. Those things are what happen when you don’t have a plan.
8) Many of life’s failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.
-Thomas A. Edison
9) The early morning has gold in its mouth.
10) Consider that all accomplishment is constituted by a series of resolved breakdowns.
11) When you’re in a rut, you have to question everything except your ability to get out of it.
12) If you want to elevate your results, elevate the people you surround yourself with.
13) The quicker you let go of old cheese, the sooner you can enjoy new cheese.
-Spencer Johnson MD
14) Do it or don’t do it… Don’t cheat us of your contribution. Give us what you’ve got.
15) It’s kind of fun to do the impossible.
And I had to throw in one of my own, something I am constantly reminding myself as someone who used to rely solely on inspiration hitting to get anything done:
16) Inspiration is an illusion, and in its absence lies an excuse to not act. Action is the artist’s true muse.
-Cheryl B. Engelhardt
What are your favorite quotes that get you out of bed and up and running? Which one of the quotes on this page resonate most for you? Leave a comment below!